Jamaica Mission 2016: One Love


Jamaica Mission Trip Franciscan Sisters
Sr. Mary Gemma with Tavien, a young woman from Seaford Town, Jamaica

“Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God.” -1 John 4:7

These were the first words our Franciscan University of Steubenville Jamaica mission team heard as we came together for Mass the day before our departure. It wasn’t until I returned home and reflected on my experience that I realized just how significant they were.

In those days, the culture shock was considerable—85° heat, lush, green forests of banana and coconut, the sometimes barely-discernible Patois dialect, and the poverty of small Jamaican villages—but because our hearts were open, we could receive the love of these beautiful people, whom we, supposedly, were coming to love.

It surprised me how easy they were to love in spite of our differences. Even the group of about 25 students, the two friars and myself grew into a family by the end of the 10 days, though many of us had never met before. 10 of us were sent to Seaford Town, a small village about an hour’s drive inland from Montego Bay. Fr. Luke, a Polish missionary priest, serves at Sacred Heart Mission there. We spent our days walking in groups of 3 from house to house, praying with men and women, playing with children, and giving and receiving the love of Christ. So many of them are forever fixed in my memory.

There was Teresa, a 92-year old woman whom we found standing over her stove, stirring a pot of cornmeal porridge and singing about the glory of the Kingdom. We held hands and prayed together, and she said, full of joy, “Lord, I didn’t expect 3 visitors today!”

There were Mr. and Mrs. Samuels, a newly baptized and married couple who proudly showed us their wedding photos and cut open whole coconuts for us to drink.

There was Jacob, a blind man whose words made no sense until we began to sing “Amazing Grace.” He clung to my hand and sang every word with gusto, ending with a verse of “Praise God!”

In the evenings we would meet at an appointed place (much later than the appointed time, in true Jamaican fashion), a gas station, small shop or a town square, set up Fr. Luke’s sound system, and begin preaching about the mercy of God. Each of these night meetings was, for me, an experience of communion with those in the village. We never knew if anyone would show up and listen to us preach out of the back of Father’s silver Nissan pick-up, but there was always at least a small crowd. There were always at least a few women enthusiastic to sing us their Jamaican church songs, and a number of people who asked to receive prayer at the end of the night.

The most profound moments on any mission are often the simplest. I’ll never forget how, after lunch one day, I entered a hot kitchen full of women to help them tidy up. They spoke a thick Patois, but they understood I wanted to help, so they set it up. Two sinks: one of soapy water, one clear. I scrubbed, one woman rinsed, others dried and put away. We worked with few words, but were soon joking and smiling like family.

Jamaica Mission Franciscan Sisters TOR
Sr. Mary Gemma with Sr. Athanasie
There were also many similar moments with the two missionary sisters with whom I stayed in Seaford Town. Sr. Jhorna was from Bangladesh and Sr. Athanasie from Rwanda, and their religious vows found them assisting a Polish priest in a rural village in Jamaica! That, in itself, is a miracle, but perhaps equally miraculous was their embrace of this American sister who interrupted their lives for a week. I never felt like a burden, but rather, a sister to them.

After a few days, we had a rhythm. Sr. Jhorna and I would stay in chapel after Morning Prayer a few minutes, while Sr. Athanasie went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast things. Soon we could hear the kettle whistling and the ting of the toaster oven. I would come and set out the coffee, milk, cane sugar, and peanut butter, nourishment before a morning walking in the hot Caribbean sun.

One night, the electricity went out and Sr. Athanasie and I had dinner by candlelight. She brought tears to my eyes as she shared the story of her vocation and how she lost much of her extended family in the Rwandan genocide.

All these moments of communion culminated in our last prayer meeting at a little shop in a place called Dam Gate. Each of the student missionaries in our group lit a candle, symbolizing the light and love of Christ we came to share, before handing them out to those in the crowd. Then the Jamaicans passed them on to each other until everyone had held the light.

It sounds trite, but it is profoundly true: in the words of Pope Francis, “We need to strengthen the conviction that we are one single human family.” Or “One love … one heart,” to quote a well-known Jamaican, Bob Marley. There are no strangers—only brothers and sisters I haven’t met yet.

But I don’t need to go to Jamaica to love. Everywhere I go, I am home, and I am called to love there with the same intensity and desire I would have on a mission trip. Pray with me today for the grace to love in the simple moments, to love in closeness to others, to love with the love of God.

-Sr. Mary Gemma, T.O.R.
Jamaica Mission Trip Franciscan Sisters
Tavien's niece and nephew: Lisandre and Leon



You may also like

12 comments:

  1. What a blessing you are to them and to those around you by being able to look past their differences and your obstacles and be able to see the beautiful people they were. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nepal Base Camp Treks (P) Ltd (team guide) are not only provide you a perfect holiday tour services, also here to organize your trouble less trekking holidays in scenic green hills to icy peaks where reachable on foot.
    There are hundreds of best and fantastic trekking tour operators in Nepal, offer you to choose many popular trekking destinations in high Himalayas as, Everest Base Camp Trek, Everest Chola Pass Gokyo Lake trek, Everest Gokyo Renjo la Pass Trek, Annapurna Base Camp Trek, Annapurna Circuit Thorong La Pass Trek , Upper Mustang Trek,Annapurna Nar –Phu Hidden Valley Trek, Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek, Manaslu Circuit via Tsum Valley Trek, Langtang Valley Trek,Gosaikund Helambu Trek, Kathmandu Valley Circuit Trek and untouched tourist destinations of Ganesh Himal Camping Trek, Tawal Earthquake Area Camping Trek, Upper Dolpa Trek, Makalu Base Camp Trek and much more… as you desirable.
    If you are looking for perfect trekking operator and perfect guide who take care all your responsible and looking unexpected trouble free holidays in Nepal, our professional guides, Bibek Gurung, Buddhi Tamang, Anjan Waiba, Debman Tamang and female guide Pramila Lama are our young and 10 /12 year experienced license holder in Nepal Base Camp Treks (P) Ltd.
    We are fully government Registered small group trekking company in nepal and trained under the ministry of tourism sector around 10/15 years. We operate only trekking in Nepal Himalaya and small peak climbing.
    You are heartily welcome to Nepal Base Camp Treks (P) Ltd. to experience your wonder trekking activities in Himalaya with our team believes "providing good service" is our motto. Our team also believes not to regret your past, not to worry about future but let's enjoy the journey with us.
    We have reletive keyword to search your trek Items in Nepal
    annapurna base camp trek 7 days

    annapurna base camp trek cost

    annapurna base camp trek map

    annapurna base camp trek blog

    annapurna base camp trek difficulty

    annapurna base camp trek distance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encountersnepal.com is professional and Lengal Trekking Company in Nepal
    and Base Located Trekking Agency,
    and Most top Package is Trekking in Nepal
    With fair deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encountersnepal.com Daily Departure as Short Packages Tour as
    Helicopter tour in Nepal,
    kathmandu Day Tour and
    Chitwan Jungle Safari in Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  5. After being in relationship with him for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: drosedebamenspellhome@gmail.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOU SIR HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS:drosedebamenspellhome@gmail.com CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEM

    ReplyDelete
  6. *HOW MY MARRIAGE WAS RESCUED BY THE POWERFUL WORK OF A GREAT SPIRITUALIST* I'M SO GRATEFUL TO HIM FOR HELPING ME!!!.

    I have been married for 10 years with 2 kids. I met my husband when I was just 14 years old in high school. We have been through thick and thin as well as many of life's major milestones through the years that we have been together. I still see that 17 year old hottie when I look at him all these years. We have had ups and downs, shouting matches, make up sex, and disagreements. But as we have approached midlife- something has changed in him.After being in relationship with him for years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I pleaded with him, I made promises but he refused.
    I explained my problem to someone i met on the internet and she suggested that I should rather contact a spiritualist, Dr Ehijator the great spirutualist and that he could help me cast a spell that will bring my husband back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to give contact him, I e-mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before seven days, that my Ex will return to me after seven days, he made sacrifices and cast a spell and surprisingly in the seventh day, it was around 5pm,My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that has happened,and that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again with our 2kids he abandoned with me. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only geniune and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem.
    I advice strongly anyone with similar problems in his/her relationship or something different should without hesitation contact the geniune and powerful spiritualist through his Email: drehijatorspellhome@gmail.com

    For more info;
    Phone No: +1(786)581-7266


    *GOD IS TRULY FAITHFUL*

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.