Labor Day Relaxation Graces

Recently, I had the opportunity to participate in a five day silent retreat in preparation to begin my next year of formation. Leaving the day to day life of our monastery and settling down into retreat mode, I felt like I was going on vacation- a vacation with Jesus! One of the many wonderful graces that the Lord gave me during my time of retreat was relaxation.

I came to realize that I am only a reflection of His infinite goodness.  I am a unique, unrepeatable phenomenon of creation. God only wants me to be my true self, and to be fully alive. God does not need me, but He wants me. There is no great work that I could ever accomplish that would add to His majesty, and there is no sin that I could ever commit that could take away from it.  This truth leads to relaxation deep within my soul. 

The gospel passage from that Sunday was the multiplication of the loaves and fishes, which is a gospel that I had heard so many times before. When I heard the gospel read at mass, something new jumped out at me:

Jesus said “Have the people recline.” Now there was a great deal of grass in that place. So the men reclined, about five thousand in number. Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining. (John 6:10)      

Jesus gave His gifts to those who were reclining, to those who were relaxed and ready to receive all the graces that He had in store for them. 


On this day of rest from our labor, let us take a moment to be still and let the Lord love us!  
-Elise Chabot, postulant                                                      


You may also like

1 comment:

  1. 1st I'd like you to know that I am grateful to you, for sharing your heart. It was very encouraging. May the Lord bless you and your sisters and keep you safe from the enemy. We live in very troubling times and I pray often for those in His ministry. May you take these lessons of peace and relaxation with you as you take your vows. Center your heart on Him, always knowing that He is as close to you as your very breath, even when you don't see it. This knowledge has carried me, my whole life and through so very dark times. And when you don't think He understands, read Psalm 22, its His very voice in your ear. And what a loving voice it is!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.