Celebrate Your Baptism!

We celebrate a lot of things…birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc. (all good things to celebrate), but why not celebrate the day you were born into new life in Christ through your baptism?   If you do not know when and where you were baptized, I encourage you to look up this information and
CELEBRATE!!   Praise God and thank Him for the gift of your life and faith, your birthday into the Church!

Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word" (CCC 1213).

That’s just what happened to me a couple of years ago after two of my friends suggested that I learn the date of my baptism.  When I looked up my information I found out that I was baptized on May 29th (that’s today)!  I was baptized at a church (Sts. Peter and Paul) that was about a mile away from the school where I was teaching at the time, and also only fifteen minutes from where I was living!  I can't think of two better saints for me to have been linked to so early on in my life.  Both St. Peter and St. Paul have been influential in my own personal faith journey and conversion.

Wait…it gets better!  I was attending graduate school and working with Sr. Helene, a religious sister who was the DRE at that parish.  (Sister actually had moved into the convent next to Sts. Peter and Paul Church a year before I was born and baptized).  

So, how did I celebrate my baptismal birthday that year?  I went to Mass at the parish where I was baptized,  and I thanked  my parents for gifting  me with this eternal gift, the best gift I ever received (well, next to my life...).  When I arrived at school that day to teach, I met Sr. Helene. school, and she would give me an inside tour of the church of my baptism.  As soon as I pulled into the church parking lot after school for the tour, Sister handed me a book about the history of the church and a cross that was blessed in Rome!  She told me I could keep the crucifix as a gift to celebrate my special day.  
 She told me to stop by Sts. Peter and Paul Church after

And the surprises just kept coming.  I just learned this year, on the Eve of my baptismal birthday, that I was baptized on Pentecost!!

Do you know your baptismal birthday?  If not, find out that date, mark it on your calendar, and CELEBRATE!!  Make it a family affair, too; celebrate your children’s baptismal birthdays as well.  How do you celebrate such a day you may ask…well attending Mass is a great way to start (especially if you can go to the church where you were baptized), make a Holy Hour, renew your Baptismal promises – and – do you still have your baptismal candle?  Well, just like any other celebration, find a tasty treat and place the candle in it, light the candle and sing!  If you have children, grandchildren, Godchildren (you get the idea – any “child”), do any of the above!  You can also incorporate sharing about the day – photos, videos, stories, (kids love stories), etc.!  Whatever you do, make it a tradition that will continue so that they will learn the importance of that sacred day, the day on which they received new life in Christ!

“To know the date of our Baptism is to know a blessed day. The danger of not knowing it is losing awareness of what the Lord has done in us, the memory of the gift we have received. Thus, we end up considering it only as an event that took place in the past – and not by our own will but by that of our parents – and, thus, has no impact on the present.” ~Pope Francis, 1/8/14

-Mary Belz, postulant


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.